UPME Woocommerce Membership is an addon created to provide paid membership features in UPME. You can use this addon to create membership products and sell them through Woocommerce. UPME content can be restricted based on these membership purchases.
- Create unlimited membership products for users
- Sell premium memberships for UPME users.
- Ability to create lifetime memberships or memberships that expire after certain time period
- Restrict access to profile, user search, member list based on membership products. Members without an active membership will not have access to these restricted features.
- Restrict access to posts/pages/custom post types/menus based on membership products. Members without an active membership will not have access to these restricted features.
- Notifications for membership purchase success, pre-expire alert and after membership is expired.
- Flexibility in using wide range of payment gateways for accepting membership payments ( You can use any Woocommerce payment gateway. Addon doesn’t include any payment gateways).
Important Pre-Sales Notes
- Recurring subscriptions are not supported at this stage. You can let user manually renew the membership before/after its expired.
- User can’t purchase other products with membership products. If user tries to add membership product when other products are in the cart or other products when membership product is in the cart, error message will be displayed asking only purchase membership products.
- If user tries to buy the a membership product while having an active purchase of the same membership product, notification will be displayed on product detail page. if user ignores the message and buy the same membership, previous purchase will be overridden with the new purchase and the expire date will be calculated from the purchase date.
- If user tries to buy the a membership product while having an active purchase of another membership product, notification will be displayed on product detail page. if user ignores the message and buy the new membership, previous purchase will be overridden with the new membership purchase and the expire date will be calculated from the purchase date.
Pricing ( Excluding Taxes for your Country)
- Support Renewals – $25/Year ( Personal and Business license holders need to renew support every year at this rate. Without renewals, you won’t be able to get support from our team after 1 Year. However, you may continue to use the product and get updates for lifetime without support. Developer license holders don’t need support renewals as it contains life time support.
- WordPress 4.7.3 or higher
- UPME version 2.2.05 or higher
- Woocommerce 3.0 or higher
- Familiarity with creating, configuring and selling products through Woocommerce
- You should have already installed UPME version 2.2.05 or higher, before using this addon.
- Installing UPME Woocommerce Membership – Upload and extract the
/wp-contents/pluginsfolder in your WordPress installation.
- Activate the addon using Plugins section of WordPress.
- Now you are ready to get started.
If you are not already using Woocommerce, you can download the plugin from https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce/ and activate it on your site. Once activated, you can setup the plugin using default setup wizard. More info about setting up Woocommerce is available HERE
You need to setup following settings based on your needs.
- Currency settings
- Payment gateways
- Product Settings
- Email settings
This addon only requires following Woocommerce settings and hence you can setup the other settings according to your preferences.
- Checkout Settings -> Checkout Process – You should disable Enable guest checkout setting since this addon requires user to have a account before purchasing a membership product.
- Accounts Settings -> Customer registration – You should enable Enable customer registration on the “Checkout” page this setting.
Once Woocommerce is setup, we can move into configuration of the addon.
Creating Membership Products
Once UPME, Woocommerce and the addon is installed, you can start creating the membership products for your site. Go to Woocommerce Products -> Add Product section. You will get a screenshot as shown in the following image.
You can add the Product Title, Description, Categories, Product Image, Product Image Gallery and Product Tags according to your preferences. Then we have to specify this product as a UPME Membership product and separate it from other products on your site.
Go to Product Data dropdown and change Simple Product to UPME Membership. Now your Product Data section will be changed similar to following screen.
We have 3 settings in Membership Data tab as follows.
- Membership User Role – This setting defines the user role that will be assigned to the users after purchasing this membership. This user role is necessary when you want to restrict post/page/custom post type/widgets/ menus on your site based on membership. You can use existing user roles for this setting or create a new product specific user role. It’s recommended that you select the Custom Role option and assign a new user role for each product to prevent conflicts with other plugins. Also its important to use a custom role since this role will be removed when the membership product expires.
If you don’t plan to implement content restrictions based on membership, you can keep the default option for this setting.
- Membership Custom User Role – This setting is only used when you select Custom Role for the Membership User Role setting. You can add any unique name here and new WordPress user role will be created with this name.
- Membership Validity – This setting defines the validity period of membership in months. Keeping this setting as blank will make the membership lifetime without expiration date. Otherwise membership purchase for users will be expired after the specified number of months from the purchase date.
Once Membership Data is added, you can click on the General tab to add the pricing. Following screen previews the General tab of UPME Membership products.
You can enter the Regular and Sale price for your membership products and save the product details by using the Publish button. You need to repeat this process for each and every membership product you plan to sell on your site.
Creating Membership Selling Page
You can list your membership products in normal Woocommerce Shop page or in a custom page. We recommend creating a custom page for Membership products, so that users are not confused about the difference in membership and normal products.
First, go to products list and get a list of ID’s of your membership products. The ID will be shown for each product as shown in the following screenshot.
Then create a new WordPress page and add the following shortcode with the ID’s of your membership products.
Now, we are ready to configure the addon.
Configuring the Addon
Once addon is installed and activated, you will get a section on the left menu called UPME Membership. Click on the menu item and you will get the Membership Settings section as shown in the following screenshot.
Finally, you have to go to UPME Settings -> Redirect Settings -> Redirect After Registration and select Membership Purchase Page we defined earlier and save the settings. Now, we are ready to sell memberships with UPME.
Let’s identify the usage of Membership settings.
- Membership Purchase Page – This setting will be used to configure the page where membership products are displayed. We created a page in the previous section with a shortcode. You need to assign the page into this setting. User will select the membership in this page.
- Automatic User Login After Registration – This setting defines whether user needs to manually login after registration or whether system automatically logs the user. We recommend enabling this setting so that user can directly purchase the membership after registration. If this setting is disabled, user will have to complete the UPME registration and login again in the Woocommerce checkout page.
- Membership Expire Notification is Sent Before – This setting is used to configure when the about to expire notification is sent. Addon will send the pre-expire notification before number of days configured in this setting.
Next, we need to configure the Restrictions setting for the addon as shown in the following screenshot.
Let’s identify the usage of Restrictions settings.
- Restrict Search for Users without Valid Membership – This setting defines whether users without valid membership can use the UPME search form to search other users. By default this is Disabled and any user can use the search form. Once Enabled, only users with ACTIVE UPME membership can use the search form.
- Restrict Profile for Users without Valid Membership – This setting defines whether users without valid membership can access UPME profile features. By default this is Disabled and any user can use profile features. Once Enabled, only users with ACTIVE UPME membership can use the profile features. Other users will only see the header section of their profile without any custom fields.
- Restrict Member List for Users without Valid Membership – This setting defines whether users without valid membership can use the UPME member list to view other user profiles. By default this is Disabled and any user can view the other user profiles based on UPME Settings. Once Enabled, only users with ACTIVE UPME membership can view other users on member list.
- Hide Users without Valid Membership from Member List – This setting defines whether users without valid membership is displayed on UPME member list. By default this is Disabled and any user will be displayed in the member list. Once Enabled, only users with ACTIVE UPME membership will be displayed in the UPME member list.
Apart from these restrictions, you can also use the custom user role assigned to the membership product and restrict your other site content such as posts/pages/custom post types and menus only to paid users.
Process of Purchasing Memberships
User comes to the site and registers a new account using the UPME registration form. Once registration is completed, user will be redirected to the membership products page as shown in the following screenshot.
If automatic user login is enabled, user will be already logged into the account in this stage.
User selects a membership product and click Read More link. Once redirected, user will see the details of the membership product as shown in the following screenshot.
Then user need to click the Add to Cart button to purchase this membership product. Once clicked, users screen will look similar to the following screenshot.
Then user need to click the View Cart button and go to the Woocommerce cart page as shown in the following screenshot.
If the product details are correct, user can click on the Proceed to Checkout button. The checkout page will be displayed similar to the following screenshot.
Next, user needs to fill the required fields and select the preferred payment method. Finally, user can click the Place Order button. You will be redirected to the selected payment gateway depending on the payment method you choose.
Once payment is completed, you will get the order success screen with Membership processing message as shown in the following screenshot.
Then the payment will be automatically completed depending on the payment gateway or admin will have to manually check and mark it as complete from the Woocommercce orders section.
Once payment is marked as complete, user will get an email with membership purchase details and a link to login to the account.
Now user will have access to the content provided by the purchased membership.
- You should deactivate the addon before upgrading to new version.
- You can upload and replace the previous version folder using ftp or delete the existing version from WordPress plugins list and upload the new version.
- This addon does not provide an automatic upgrade routine at this stage.
- Once uploaded you can reactivate the plugin.
- If you follow the proper procedure and if we haven’t mentioned anything special about each release, you won’t loose any data or settings by upgrading to new versions.
- Refunds may only be issued within 30 days of the purchase date. After 30 days no refunds can be processed.
- No refunds will be offered unless you allow us to adequately try and assist you in resolving the issue on your site.
- You can get a refund if you find bugs in the addon and developer can’t get it sorted within a feasible time period.
- No refunds will be provided for conflicts with themes or other plugins.
- No refunds will be provided when the features are not capable of handling your requirements. So please make sure to ask Pre-Sales questions and confirm whether its right for you.